Thursday 31 October 2013

Bayside Brewers Oktoberfest

I am a member of the Bayside Brewers home brew club which covers the South Eastern bayside suburbs of Melbourne. Every year in October we have our Oktoberfest at Hickinbotham Winery in Dromana.
The Saturday is the judging day for competition entries then on Saturday night many of our members camp in the horse paddock behind the winery.
Sunday is the family day. All the beers in the competition are served and there are German foods available and an Oompah band.
I brewed a Munich dunkel for the competition. I had set my grain mill too fine so ended up getting a stuck sparge on numerous occasions during my stepped mash.The result was I didnt hit my mash temps properly and the beer didnt attenuate out resulting in a slightly watery beer.
So I didnt place in the judging, however I had a number of fellow members tell me that they enjoyed my beer. So I might have to put this one down to brew again.

It was a good day with a huge turn out. I enjoyed the beer on offer with a Hefewiezen being my favourite. It had a nice bubblegum after taste, and Im certainly going to add this to my brew schedule.


Authentic German barman..or not.
More authentic Germans..




 


Ok well at least this was an authentic German Oompah band.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...