Tuesday 29 October 2013

My first brewery

If I had started this blog when I first started brewing I would have a nice chronological order of my brew rigs as I updated them and added or improved them. Instead Im going to just do some catch up posts here outlining my brew rig setups since I first started.

My first adventure into all grain brewing was using the old faithfull Big W 20 litre pot and a Swiss voile bag. This method is called Brew in a bag or BIAB and is a great and cheap way for new or K&K brewers to get started in "All Grain" brewing.
My first brew was a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone and it turned out fantastic. I was immediately hooked on All grain.

I was then given an 18 litre urn so started doing BIAB in that. Eventually after reading about various systems such as RIMS and HERMS, 2V 3V etc etc I decided to build a simple herms system and setup a 3V brewery. This used my small 18 litre urn as a Hot Liquor Tank or HLT, an esky for my Mash tun MLT and a new 40 litre urn I had brought as my boil kettle.


Brew rig on stand showing my HLT bottom left, herms vessel bottom right, and mash tun and boil kettle on top shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...